We provide a dynamic, warm, friendly and motivated working atmosphere, performance-based job rotation and career development opportunity to candidates who have real passion to develop a career with NGOs to serve the community.
Deputy Chief Executive at AIDS Concern
AIDS Concern is looking for an experienced candidate to be our Deputy Chief Executive. The successful candidate will be a member of the AIDS Concern Management Team reporting to the Chief Executive.
The Deputy Chief Executive will deputise for the Chief Executive when he is unavailable and particularly for external speaking and media work which requires Chinese. Their daily duty will be primarily to act as director of AIDS Concern’s service programs. Over time, it will be expected they can take on some responsibilities for specialist cross-agency work.
The Deputy Chief Executive will be responsible for AIDS Concern’s service programs on HIV prevention and care. This includes overseeing the programs on community education, testing and care and leading the service development for some of our My Place social enterprise services.
The position directly line manages 3 program managers with a team of 20 staff in addition to part-time staff and volunteers.
The successful candidate will have rich experience in program management to oversee our service development. In addition, we are looking for someone with a business development and innovation mindset who can develop and grow new services.
About AIDS Concern
AIDS Concern was the first non-government AIDS/HIV NGO in Hong Kong, established in 1990 and committed to the service of AIDS care in Hong Kong.
We want to see a virtual end to the HIV epidemic in Hong Kong by 2030. Our vision is for Triple Zero – ZERO new HIV infections, ZERO stigma for people living with HIV and ZERO AIDS deaths.
AIDS Concern aims to make a substantial contribution to ending new HIV infections in Hong Kong by 2030. We will achieve by providing community-based services with evidence-based prevention education, HIV testing and support services.
In the coming years we intend to build a pioneering rainbow health service to improve the health of the LGBT+ community in Hong Kong. The Deputy Chief Executive will be one of the people responsible for leading this development work.
AIDS Concern is a small NGO with 30 full time staff. We work within clear standards, valuing our lack of bureaucracy and ability to innovate. For example, in recent years we have been the first NGO in Hong Kong to drive the roll out of HIV self-testing and to lead on education about PrEP medication.
We are looking for someone who wants to take the next step in their career development, who can help drive exciting, modern and innovative programs for some vulnerable community groups. If you think this might be you then please apply.
We are not afraid to talk about sex, drug use and other taboo issues. This is essential for HIV prevention and care. We support combination HIV prevention, harm reduction approaches and sex positivity.
We are also committed to the development of a pioneering LGBT health service which will positively improve the health of LGBT+ people. This will be a major part of the agency’s development in the coming years.
We will achieve these objectives by providing free services through AIDS Concern and paid for services through our My Place project.
Job role of Deputy Chief Executive
The Deputy Chief Executive is responsible for the following programs: MSM (gay men’s sexual health), Male Health Program (heterosexuals at high risk of HIV), Ethnic Minority Program, HIV Testing & Counselling, People Living with HIV Support. In addition, for the oversight and development of the My PrEP and the My Check-Up services through My Place.
The Deputy Chief Executive will work most of the time at our Jordan Centre in Pilkem Street, some of the time at our Chai Wan office and sometimes outside of the office. Occasional (but not regular) evenings and weekend work will be needed.
The new Deputy CE will report into the Chief Executive and will be one of the AIDS Concern management team members, working closely with the management team to ensure that across the agency we are working to have maximum impact on our mission.
The Deputy CE will develop and implement AIDS Concern’s program strategy for prevention and care in line with the agency’s Triple Zero vision. Through our promotion and education programs AIDS Concern aims to increase community action on safer sex and on LGBT health.
The post holder will spend time managing the staff and resources available to them. The position is responsible for line managing three program managers with twenty full time staff, additional part time staff, volunteers and a substantial budget.
The key responsibilities will include overseeing program design, project planning, budgeting, monitoring and implementation, and subsequent follow-up action by our Program Team. The successful candidate will also be responsible for oversight of daily operations of the teams to ensure effective execution of agreed projects in a timely and quality manner, leading and coaching the teams to generate new initiatives that enhance and advance our services to the community.
This post holder will need to be working with staff and volunteers at all levels in the organization. They will work with the Board Members, Chief Executive and Management Team members to develop positive relationships with external stakeholders including government health services, policy makers, funders and others.
Some key priorities in the next 12 months which this post-holder will be responsible for:
- Development of the testing and counselling service to provide different services tailored to the risk profile of community members.
- Growth of HIV self-testing program and consideration of self-sampling services.
- Building the Rainbow Health Service at My Place as we grow and develop the work we do in LGBT+ health.
- Ensuring a quality program of HIV education for MSM, heterosexual men and ethnic minorities at risk.
- Continuing our program of practical and emotional support for people newly diagnosed with HIV.
- Creating funding bids and building relationships with funders.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for someone with a close match to the following:
- Training and background in social work, social sciences, counselling, or education. Preference for candidates who have worked with minority groups and stigmatized causes.
- At least 6-8 years’ experience in providing services to the community.
- At least 7-years’ managerial experience, with people management, project planning, budgeting and implementation.
- Business development and innovation mindset to support our work in LGBT health
- Passion for developing a career with NGOs and serving the community with minority interest.
- Knowledge about HIV and also the LGBT community would be a definite advantage but is not essential if the candidate has good community service experience and positive attitude.
- Strong leadership and coaching skills to build and enhance teamwork and develop team members.
- Open minded and willingness to accept or create new initiatives.
- Strong communication ability to build relationships with colleagues across AIDS Concern and other parties outside the organization.
- Being able to communicate well in both Cantonese and English is a requirement for this post.
What we offer
We offer a salary based on AIDS Concern’s Master Pay Scale (MPS). We will be flexible to salary requests based on the experience and skills of the candidate.
We provide comprehensive fringe benefits including medical coverage, work-life balance, training and development sponsorship. We aim to provide opportunity for new initiatives and job satisfaction for candidates who want to work to better the lives of minorities.
If you are interested to join our team please prepare a full CV plus a covering letter which sets out your experience and suitability for the position, your expected salary and date of availability for employment. Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about our organization, please visit our website www.aidsconcern.org.hk
To support AIDS Concern’s Triple Zero Vision (ZERO new HIV infections, ZERO stigma and ZERO AIDS deaths), our Male Health Team is recruiting an Assistant Prevention Officer to develop and implement safer sex health promotion campaigns. The target community for the work is heterosexual men at high risk of HIV. The program aims to enhance their safe sex and HIV testing awareness, motivating people to establish testing behaviour and to build up sexual health.
Assistant Prevention Officer (Male Health Team)
The successful candidate will be responsible for
- Assist in developing social media channels (Facebook Pages and Groups, Instagram & Dating Apps) to approach high risk men to give HIV and Sexual Health related education
- Assist in planning and implementation of sexual health awareness programs/ events / campaigns / workshops/ new initiatives targeting high risk men through various channels
- Assist in partnership communication with external stakeholders to target scattered high risk men by organizing activities and workshops
- Conduct HIV anti-body tests and STI screening tests with pre- and post–test counselling for AIDS Concern’s testing service targets
- Assist in the administrative tasks, report and summary writing
- Conduct physical outreach sessions and deliver sexual health education as needed
We are looking for candidates who are
- College graduate in social science, public health, media and communication or social work-related disciplines
- 1 – 2 years relevant experience
- Experience in working with NGOs is highly preferred
- Proficient language skills in Cantonese and English
- Skilled in Microsoft Windows, Office, Photoshops, Canva or equivalent infographic design tools
- A good team player, proactive, good communications skills and flexible
- Committed to serve the community
- Willing to work in weekends and evening sessions
Successful candidates will be offered with great learning and development opportunities and comprehensive fringe benefits.
If you wish to apply please send us your resume, state with your current and expected salary, availability AND a draft of Facebook post with below topic and elements on
“How to give awareness to heterosexual male community on HIV testing after unsafe sex?”
with element on,